Sunday 8 September 2013

Journey to fitness and wellness! 1 year into Bodybuilding and Stronglifts 5x5


The scales were starting to creep towards obese (29.9%BMI) and I was starting to get worried. I've always wanted to look good and feel comfortable with taking my t-shirt off.

Most of my life I have been blessed with a belly! always the young lad at school that was always picked last to play in a football team... sports were never really my thing! never able to do a chin up.

One day something clicked inside me... I took an interest in my diet.. in my strength .. my physique. I wanted to do something positive for my life and my health.

Spent many an evening reading motivational words, listened to some self hypnosis recording I found online and then in October 2012 the journey began.

I had dabbled in training beforehand but never really found the motivation or will to stick to it! 104kg was my peak weight!

After much research and deliberation I came to the conclusion a beginners workout involving mainly compound exercises was the best to get me into this new mind-set and lifestyle. I signed up to the local gym, ordered some tubs of protein and began to hit it hard!

Squatting 75kg!
Starting with just the bar (20kg Barbell) I was squatting / benching / overhead pressing / bent over rowing and ofc deadlifting... I looked like a right noob haha but I knew that every consecutive workout I would be adding 2.5kg to my lifts... The weight I could lift began to rise steadily and my weight began to gradually fall.


Stronglifts is super easy to follow and only has u in the gym 3 times a week for about an hour each workout. I highly recommend it! plus its 100% free

Stronglifts 5x5

Today I have respectable lifts Benching 70kg 5x5, overhead pressing 65kg 5x5, bent over rowing 75kg 5x5, Deadlifting 145kg 1x8 and squatting 112.5kg 5x5

The increase in protein took some getting used to and the gasses I produce can clear rooms, I almost feel sorry for people when I have to release them! But I knew that a high protein intake was a must! eating protein with every meal was my new life rule.

First days in the gym I chose the biggest meanest looking meatheads and walked upto them! asked them how they were, and what they were doing.. it turns out that they were only nice people! and not the menacing monsters that we instantly assume they are upon first impression.

Now a year on I'm greeted to many smiling faces, Compliments and admiration at the distance I have come!

104kg - 93kg so far! not the massive fat loss that I expected but my body has gone through radical changes..... I've got muscles lol? where did they come from? I'm strong as hell and feel bloody awesome! ladies have started to take notice! I feel much better about myself and every now n then I actually take my top off!

But I have a problem! my girlfriend told me if I ever lose my belly she would leave me haha! she loves it ... typical huh? shouldn't it be the other way around? so my belly remains! altho drastically reduced.

Starting to train has been a new aspect of my life I have thoroughly enjoyed.. A born again man.

I look forward to what another year of fitness and eating right will bring me.

p.s. I still eat far too many cakes lol but my diet is 20 times better than it was ;)

p.p.s I can now do pull ups and chin ups.. something I have always wanted to be able to do :)

Do something positive with your life! get fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment